BLOG POST WEEK 12



I was really inspired by both Joy Kirr and Abby Mowry.  If we can think outside the box of traditional classrooms, I really think that we can engage students in more authentic ways that help better prepare them for the future job market. I loved that Abby Mowry has started pre-recording some of her lectures so that her students can work independently, and she can use that time to check in on students who need extra help. It was also impressive to see how many hands on activities she had going on in her classroom. I would love to be able to do a robot club in my classroom.

Joy Kirr has a lot of really fascinating suggestions for transforming the traditional classroom. I particularly liked her idea of a Genius Hour, where kids get to focus on their own interests. I was also fascinated by her approach of less grading and more conferences and chances to improve work. Some of my teachers at CSUN work that way and I have really appreciated the chance to learn from their expertise. I think this would be a good method to help inspire kids to keep trying. I also really like Joy Kirr's suggestion to leave your walls more blank. We think of good classrooms as being covered with posters and images, but I really sparked to the idea of letting my students take more ownership of the classroom. I would still do things like word walls, etc., but this is a good reminder to let your students take the lead. I also really liked Kirr's note on labels having an impact on kids. I went to speak in front of the LAUSD board a couple of years ago to object to the Yelp-like rating system they were considering for our schools. I fully believe that when you tell a student that there school is a 3, you are telling that child that they are a 3. This is why I'm also not keen on websites like Great Schools. 

It is encouraging to see that schools who have participated in the Apple and ConnectEd projects have seen good results, but I don't think improvements on standardized tests should be the only method we use to judge technology and creativity's success in the classroom. As we saw in both Joy Kirr and Abby Mowry's classrooms, student engagement is pricelesss and hard to quantify. From an equity standpoint, I also think it's worth noting that Abby Mowry's Principal noted that there's no way they could have built their technology program without receiving a special grant. We absolutely need to invest more in education and we need to make sure that we investing equally in every school and every student.

Comments

  1. I agree that a traditional classroom is the exact way you explained with no room for mistakes! No room for individuality and students are just repeating what the teacher says which is not learning whatsoever. I enjoyed watching how engaged her students were in the video. Yes, she is preparing them for the future because those jobs will want people who can think critically, problem solve, and work collaboratively. I love hearing how she pre-records herself so she can focus on those students who need more help than her others. This is such a wonderful idea because at the end of the day we are just 1 person and cannot get to every child at the same time. I love how her club has expanded over time and how each year there is something different. STEM is such a great tool! The fact that she said in the video, "I am not here to get awarded, I do what I do because of the kids". That is are solely focus is to get the kids excited about learning especially when they are having fun and do not even realize that they are learning. I agree Maggy, my focus is the same to prepare these kids to the real world because if we do not we are harming their opportunities in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Ems and Jacki , thinking outside the box is actually a necessity for the 21st century and technological world we live in . A real world is not doing 1 hour a math everyday or 1 hour a reading every day. We want our kids to explore science engineering math, literacy and everything all day long. Teachers should always set high expectations for all students and teachers while implementing the STEM " hands on learning". With this approach they will prepare students for the future and the jobs of the future which means we need them to be really involved in their learning. A lot of studies demonstrated that children learn best when they see how their learning can be applied outside of school, teachers will have the opportunities to bring in community expert to connect learning to their careers. I see this STEM approach really helpful and applicable because learning by doing is for me the best form and effective form of education. Ems, I was so impressed by Joy Kirr and her decision to transform her traditional classroom and try out new things. The Genius Hour is a good strategy ( a teaching tactic based on a practice at google) gives children a chance to invent and create without being scared from any grades or test score. This freedom really give children a chance to create and invent while learning and having fun which is something I will try to implement in my future teaching career. Technology Ems is another element that I will implement because I believe that it has tremendous effect on learning and it can help engage students especially the ELL's. Basically , technology and STEM for me are essential they provide hands on learning opportunities, personalized opportunities, creative expression, boost engagement and self confidence which leads to positive learning environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Em, I also thought that Kirr's approach and implementation of genius hour was a positive change. It's a great way to get all students involved. It also shows that their ideas, interest, and hobbies are valued. Giving students more liberty to explore and create will result in so many great projects and knowledge that can be shared with the whole class. Abby Mowry also had some practices that truly benefit the classroom. I love how she came by to give students hints but let them persevere in problem solving. I tend to want to fix and help right away but I realize I'm not giving the students time to work through the problems and try different methods. It's great to see how engaging the students lowers discipline problems. Another aspect I thought was interesting was an open schedule. I would love to try this with my future classroom. It gives the students the option to choose when and where they complete their task. This type of flexibility is beneficial because students may feel more motivated since they have more control over their time. Overall, these two teachers have some great practices that I would consider implementing in my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of engaging your students and how that affects classroom management. It just makes sense. If your students are active and interested in what they are learning they are less likely to deviate from the behaviors expected of them. Kirr's approach was definitely a positive change. The idea of an open schedule was so interesting to me. I know that it is a tall order at first, but I aspire to have the most accommodating, inclusive classroom possible for all of my students. Everyone has something to contribute and we can all learn from that. Giving students that structured freedom can open up so many possibilities.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 Blog

WEEK 3 BLOG QUESTION - What do Drive and the Evolving Classroom have in common? What are the implications for your classroom?

Week 9 Blog